Now Serving Espresso & Pastry!

Now Serving Espresso & Pastry!
Bricks & Mortar - literally

Sunday, November 7, 2010

On a Wet Sunday

The heavens have opened and there's a river running down 1st Street - the water has overflowed the curbs (not a great feat as they are very low) & the sidewalks have a current. Does this mean the end of our Indian Summer?

It was chilly enough late yesterday to start me thinking about replacing the piece of plastic that I attached last year to block cold air trying to creep under the gap between the bottom of the door & the floor. The weather-ban made it warmer in here, but opening the door was a challenge - for each and every customer struggling with it. And this winter I am serving espresso, so they'll be juggling more than just books when they attempt to leave. If you drop a few books, no problem. If you drop a latte though, that's a mess. As for the back door? Nobody really notices my blocking the cold air with a rolled up blanket - as long as it's neatly rolled.

Today I'm weathering the wet chill with a bowl of cowboy beans & a caramel cinnamon latte. Coffee tends to make everything better, in my opinion. The cowboy beans are actually a potluck item for later - to accompany a showing of Blazing Saddles. I've only seen the movie about 40 times or so, but never with this particular group of friends and never in Hi Def Blue Ray (spell-check please?). Should be interesting.

All the Halloween decorations are put away now, except Delores. She's the mannequin I used as the witch in my Halloween window. Presently she is in charge of the reading room, sitting on an overstuffed chair with a book propped up on her lap. I was out of storage room so just tried to make her blend. Hope she doesn't frighten anyone - she is wearing kind of a scary bad wig. I might have to drop in at Jilly's & pick up something a bit more attractive - that or a hat. Hmmm. Maybe I need a new hat as well. It IS RAINING, after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment