Now Serving Espresso & Pastry!

Now Serving Espresso & Pastry!
Bricks & Mortar - literally

Friday, November 16, 2012

COMFORT IS WHERE YOU FIND IT

There's been a lot written about comfort food recently, even cookbooks dedicated to the taste of home, the flavors that remind us of childhood and calmer periods in our lives. Not so much is written about the sounds and smells and vistas that relax and nourish our spirits. Driving to work today I realized that one of the most comforting sounds to me is the sound of windshield wipers slapping. I'm the perfect Northwesterner, even though it took me many years to make that discovery. 21 years ago I caught a lucky break and discovered a place that wasn't dry & arid - someplace I could breathe clean air (well mostly) and not risk heat stroke by spending time outside in the garden. And the smells! In the greater NW we have less traffic, less exhaust, less factory olfactory output and thus we can really smell the flowers and scents of Spring. As a bonus we view pine, fir and all the deciduous trees and growth that make up our forests, and we enjoy a bountiful abundance of rivers, streams, mountains & coastline. I know, not everyone shares my pleasure when we have days on end of drenching rain and near-freezing nighttime temperatures, cold enough to keep us indoors but not quite cold enough to bring snow days. For those of you who prefer the dry arid beauty of the deserts, there are other places. For me, this place is splendiferous and I'm so grateful to be here. I'll continue to enjoy the weird weather which changes precipitously and confounds the computer models. And I'll continue to enjoy the sights and sounds and smells of the Greater Northwest, as I spend my days handling the books I love and talking to customers and friends about authors, while sipping on a latte. Not a bad place to be in life!

No comments:

Post a Comment