Now Serving Espresso & Pastry!

Now Serving Espresso & Pastry!
Bricks & Mortar - literally

Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Life after Word for Word

Word for Word Books & Espresso is no more - farewell to my second home and my pivotal post trauma re-socialization device and farewell to my loyal customers. We're all moving on.

It's a shame there are no longer any bookstores in St. Helens, but guilt over that kept me lingering too long. Now when the calls & emails come in from people looking for tomes of entertainment or education, I refer everyone to Powells. Powell's Books in Portland, after all, is a mecca for the mind, an amazing maze requiring a map to navigate the whole. It's a magic place with exactly the book you need, regardless of when published or what the subject matter. Live on Powell's - you are the standard bearer for all of the bookstores who have passed on in the wake of e-books. We who are about to (or just did) die salute you!

The lessons I've learned during this 5 year relationship with the business world have been different than those learned in previous incarnations . One of the things I realize after this swing through biz life is that I'm more a doer than someone who waits patiently for something to happen, someone to enter my front door. I've reached a stage in my life when patience is at a premium and I can't wait forever for results, or even for long.

My period of mourning the loss of W4W is over. Closing was hard, but life looks easier these days with a more flexible schedule and more time to follow my passions. My stress levels are lower although my calendar seems nearly as full as it was before. So much for retiring gently into retirement :-).

The last five years were necessary preparation, but now I'm ready for the next chapter of my life. The story continues . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment