Now Serving Espresso & Pastry!

Now Serving Espresso & Pastry!
Bricks & Mortar - literally

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

The View From My Deck

I've taken a few unscheduled days off this week, not by choice but out of necessity. I'm forced to slow down and in doing so find myself looking out the window toward the river. Blue sky and sunshine are peeking from behind the clouds and raindrops are landing on the deck. I love that about Oregon.

Since I've been out of the shop I'm a little out of touch with the world of books. Well maybe that's not quite true. Maybe I'm more in touch, as I've had more time to read. It's amazing how I spend most of my days in a shop filled with books, but do most of my reading here at home. At work I spend time in conversation with the interesting people who walk in my door.

Words are one of the cornerstones of my life. When events overwhelm me I bury myself in a book or I write. Words are my refuge and my coping mechanism. How fitting that I spend every Tuesday through Saturday in rooms lined with burgeoning bookshelves - burgeoning bookshelves brimming with a bounty of books (sorry, I got carried away!).

People ask me sometimes why I opened a bookshop.  They assume it's been my life's dream. Maybe I should confess that, really, I just wanted my own private library - an endless supply of books in a shop by the river where blue sky and sunshine peek through the clouds as raindrops fall on my deck.

No comments:

Post a Comment